Thursday, August 23, 2012

King Bidgood's in the Bathtub



A classic, right?  King Bidgood's in the Bathtub is one of those books that I don't remember reading over and over again as a child but when I saw it on the shelf, I smiled, finding an old forgotten friend.  I bought it for my 4-year-old son for some occasion and it has quickly become his go-to book.  Every afternoon for quiet time when putting together his pile of books to look through he always asks, "Where is King Bidgood's in the Bathtub?"

By the great Audrey and Don Wood, the story tells of King Bidgood who will not get out of the bathtub.  The kingdom is in need of his presence and rulings but no matter how he is begged and pleaded with he won't get out. In fact, he keeps on inviting people in, to the room that is.  How the King is lured from the bathtub in the end is a delightful ending to a enjoyable book.

The illustrations are lavishly detailed with rich colors from the food to the dresses to the people.  Words aside, one could spend hours reading the illustrations.  And that is just what my son does, every day, just after noon.

4 comments:

The Prince's said...

Camille! Love your blog! Best insight! I loved this book as a child-a classic

Bathtub Refinishing San Diego said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Serge said...

Aside from the stories which were just told to us by our parents, passing on our favorite childhood books such as this one to our future kids would sure be a great way to spend quality time with them as we get to reminisce how we first felt as the same book was read to us by our parents. Now, we get to experience how our parents felt while we read the book for our little ones.

Anonymous said...

I must remember to thank Marianne Hilgert for pointing me to your children's lit blog! I love children's books, especially picture books, and we love King Bidgood, too. The changing light in each picture is something I notice upon (the millionth) re-reading ... love how it shows the passing of the day. Anyway, love the blog! Are you on Twitter? -Gail Viechnicki (mom to a couple of Spider Soccer kids... Nate and Henry). :)